Property Owner Forms

The following forms can be used by property owners who rent to tenants participating in Metro Housing|Boston’s voucher programs.

Leasing to Metro Housing|Boston Participants

Terminating/Reinstating a Lease

Change of Ownership

Proof of ownership – Owners must provide documentation of ownership before payments can be released for a property.  Documentation may include, but is not limited to, a copy of a deed or the most recent real estate tax bill.

Billing Tenants for Water

On March 16, 2005, a law went into effect in Massachusetts that allows landlords to bill tenants starting new tenancies directly for water if the property meets the law’s requirements for submetering and water conservation. For more information, see When Can a Tenant Be Billed Directly for Water?

Before billing a Metro Housing|Boston tenant for water, the following form must be submitted along with the Request for Tenancy Approval (see above).

MRVP Rent Limits & Rent Approval Forms

Communities we serve

Metro Housing|Boston serves individuals and families, as well property owners, in 30 communities throughout Greater Boston.

  • Arlington
  • Bedford
  • Belmont
  • Boston
  • Braintree
  • Brookline
  • Burlington
  • Cambridge
  • Chelsea
  • Everett
  • Lexington
  • Lynn*
  • Malden
  • Medford
  • Melrose
  • Milton
  • Newton
  • North Reading
  • Quincy
  • Reading
  • Revere
  • Somerville
  • Stoneham
  • Wakefield
  • Waltham
  • Watertown
  • Wilmington
  • Winchester
  • Winthrop
  • Woburn

*Metro Housing|Boston does not administer RAFT, Voucher Programs, or HomeBASE assistance in Lynn. See Lynn Housing Authority.
*In addition to the 30 communities listed above, Metro Housing|Boston administers rental voucher programs in Holbrook, Randolph, and Weymouth. If you are specifically seeking RAFT assistance in those communities,
you must apply instead to Housing Solutions. (