If you are a single individual or two adults, you can contact our Housing Consumer Education Center at 617.425.6700 for a list of shelters that are available to adults. This does not require a visit to your local DTA office.


Emergency Assistance is obtained through the Department of Transitional Assistance. They determine eligibility based on income and assets. If you need Emergency Assistance or food stamps, go to the nearest DTA (Welfare) Office or call to schedule an appointment.


Eviction is a legal process that is serious, and can be difficult to navigate. You need to know your legal rights, to understand the steps along the way, and know where to turn for resources and help.The City of Boston created this guide to help you understand the eviction process. Click HERE to download the City of Boston Eviction Guide.


Department of Housing and Community Development oversees funding and resources to help people in Massachusetts live affordably and safely.


The Department of Mental Health – as the State Mental Health Authority, assures and provides access to services and supports to meet the mental health needs of individuals of all ages; enabling them to live, work and participate in their communities.

Mass Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing provides accessible communication, education, and advocacy to consumers and private and public entities so that programs, services, and opportunities throughout Massachusetts are fully accessible to persons who are deaf and hard of hearing.

Mass Commission for the Blind serves individuals in Massachusetts who are legally blind by providing access to employment opportunities and social rehabilitation with the goal of increasing independence and self-determination.