Filing a Complaint

Filing a Complaint

If I believe that I have been discriminated against, what can I do?

Persons who believe that they were denied access to equal housing opportunity can file a fair housing complaint on the federal level with the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), on the state level with the MA Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), and on the local level if your municipality has a fair housing or human rights commission. You could also choose to sue in state or federal court.

Does it make a difference if I file a complaint with a government agency or the courts?

If you file an administrative complaint through HUD, MCAD or a municipal commission, you do not need an attorney or to pay filing fees. You have a year or less depending on which agency you use to file your complaint. In court, you have 2 years or less to file a complaint depending whether it is on the federal or state level. There will be filing fees and it is advisable that you have an attorney to represent you.

Does if make a difference if I file on the federal, state or local government level?

The federal, state and local governments have differences in the covered protected classes as well as scoping and coverage provisions. There are also differences in design & construction accessibility requirements. A complaint should be filed with the government agency that covers you as a protected class member and/or has the highest level of protection for your particular situation.

Can I get more information on my fair housing rights from Metro Housing|Boston?

You can contact the Fair Housing Manager at 617.425.6681. He/she will discuss with you, your protections under both the state and federal fair housing laws. He/she also can assist you on where best to file a complaint.

What is the contact information so I can file a complaint?

You can contact any of the following organizations:

MA Commission Against Discrimination
One Ashburton Place
Rm. 601
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 994-6000
TTY: (617) 994-6196

Cambridge Human Rights Commission
51 Inman Street, 2nd Floor
Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 349-4396
TTY: (617) 492-0235

Boston Fair Housing Commission
1 City Hall Plaza
Boston, MA 0220
Phone: (617) 635.4408

10 Causeway Street
Boston, MA 02222-1092
Phone: (617) 994-8300 or
(800) 827-5005
TTY: (617) 565-5453

For help with fair housing matter please contact the Fair Housing Project by email at or call  (617) 425-6681.

Communities we serve

Metro Housing|Boston serves individuals and families, as well property owners, in 30 communities throughout Greater Boston.

  • Arlington
  • Bedford
  • Belmont
  • Boston
  • Braintree
  • Brookline
  • Burlington
  • Cambridge
  • Chelsea
  • Everett
  • Lexington
  • Lynn*
  • Malden
  • Medford
  • Melrose
  • Milton
  • Newton
  • North Reading
  • Quincy
  • Reading
  • Revere
  • Somerville
  • Stoneham
  • Wakefield
  • Waltham
  • Watertown
  • Wilmington
  • Winchester
  • Winthrop
  • Woburn

*Metro Housing|Boston does not administer RAFT, Voucher Programs, or HomeBASE assistance in Lynn. See Lynn Housing Authority.
*In addition to the 30 communities listed above, Metro Housing|Boston administers rental voucher programs in Holbrook, Randolph, and Weymouth. If you are specifically seeking RAFT assistance in those communities,
you must apply instead to Housing Solutions. (