04 Jun VASH Lead Specialist
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The VASH Lead Specialist is responsible for all aspects of the administration of the VA HUD VASH Section 8 program. The Lead Specialist will work with the DHCD VASH Representative, the VASH staff at all of the partner VA Medical Centers (VAMC’s) and the VA Community Based Outreach Centers (CBOC’s). The VASH Lead will be responsible for making selections from the VASH statewide waiting list for all VASH applicants referred to Metro Housing. Once selections are made, the Lead Specialist manages all aspects program administration including the verification of eligibility for referred applicants, issuance of voucher, processing of Request for Tenancy Approval and initial lease-up. The VASH Lead will also be responsible for on-going program administration including all reexaminations and interim examinations, as well as all relocation. The VASH Lead is also responsible for program integrity and quality assurance for all applicant files. The VASH Lead also works closely with the Inspections Department to ensure timely new unit inspections to complete the leasing process.
Leased Housing Program Manager
Responsibilities May Include:
- Responsible for the intake process of all VASH applicant referrals from DHCD, including: selection from the statewide database, confirmation of initial eligibility and issuance of the HCV which includes meeting with each participant to verify family composition and income. The VASH Lead will be responsible for calculating rent shares with 98% accuracy (2% discry), determining maximum housing cost, and documenting third party verification. At each interaction with the VASH applicant/participant, the VASH Lead will explain and complete required forms with participant, process requests for tenancy approvals (RFTA’s), process leasing agreements and housing contracts enter data into database and ensure all data is accurate and up to date in Tracker.
- Working closely with the VA VASH staff at our partner VAMC’s and CBOC’s to make sure that the VASH participants are complying with the Section 8 regulations;
- Interpret and apply HUD/DHCD/Metro Housing regulations, policies, and procedures as they pertain to the VA HUD-VASH program. Educate program participants, VA VASH staff and other stakeholders concerning these regulations policies and procedures.
- Track and monitor “on the clock” status of all VASH Section 8 program applicants and participants in relocation;
- Maintain basic knowledge regarding housing inspection requirements and procedures.
- Participate in VA/DHCD/RAA Quarterly Meetings;
- Participate in team meetings;
- Perform other activities as assigned by the Program Manager.
- Work experience administering the intake and relocation process for HCVP. Experience with direct service delivery in a housing or other social service related agency. Extensive knowledge of the Tracker Data Base System and the Statewide Section 8 Waitlist. Knowledge of housing subsidy program regulations.
- Ability to manage several tasks at once, anticipate and identify problems putting forward solutions that are creative, innovative, and flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify problems and strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and negotiation skills. Good organizational skills and detail-oriented.
- Must be computer literate, self-motivated, and reliable to work independently.
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse low income population.
- Direct work experience administering the intake and relocation process for HCVP in a subsidized housing program.
- Bi-lingual preferred.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION * (within one year of hire date)
- HCV Eligibility Certification
- HCV Rent Calculation Certification
- EIV Workshop and Training
*Commensurate and applicable experience may be substituted for the certification on a case by case basis.
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $52,500 with excellent benefits. Please visit website: