09 Jul Program Manager: MA Rental Voucher Program (MRVP)
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The duties of this position include a wide range of managerial responsibilities related to multiple aspects of the Leased Housing Program. The Manager is responsible for supervising staff, monitoring their team’s performance and providing support to reporting staff. The Manager’s job functions include reviewing and evaluating the activities of staff responsible for ensuring applicant, tenant or vendor compliance with requirements in one or more functional areas of the Leased Housing Program. The Manager will frequently be required to use independent judgment in making recommendations in accordance with existing procedures or written guidelines, such as Metro Housing policies, HUD and DHCD regulations, handbooks, desk references, or existing records.
Responsibilities May Include:
- General DutiesThe statements below are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
Management and Supervision
- Coordinates, supervises and monitors staff activity to ensure that work and assigned task(s) are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, performance goals and departmental objectives;
- Assists in training new employees and supports subordinates in the interpretation of applicable provisions and regulations;
- Performs compliance reviews of subordinates and works one-on-one with staff to correct errors;
- Prepares reports on QC monitoring and makes appropriate recommendations to address identified issues;
- Provide guidance to staff on identified needs;
- Performs performance reviews of subordinates;
- Prepares and administers performance improvement plans and disciplinary actions; and,
- Ensures program staff provide professional and comprehensive customer service to participants, landlords, and other customers.
Policy and Procedures
- Understands and applies HUD regulations, MTW policies and Metro Housing’s procedures;
- Participates in the development of new plans and procedures designed to improve operations and in implementing approved policy;
- Explains new or revised policies, procedures, or laws that impact operations of applicable program area to reporting staff;
- Coordinates implementation or modification of policies, procedures and processing methods with subordinates; and
- Recommends changes in operating procedures and methods to program management as necessary.
Data, Systems and Reporting
- Enters data into housing software as required;
- Provides input on system design and revisions to streamline process and work flows;
- Retrieves data (Utilization, EIV, Elite Production, financial, and PIC reports) analyzes data, prepares reports and submits to Senior Leased Housing Staff; and,
- Prepares and submits required reports.
- Answers telephone calls and communicates with applicants, participants, landlords/owners and co-workers in a manner that is courteous and professional;
- Determines customer needs and provides the information or assistance required to satisfy the customer needs;
- Notifies program applicants, participants and owners in a timely manner of the results of program transactions;
- Resolves disputes between the HCV staff and program participants;
- Attends meetings and trainings;
- Escalates program issues as needed; and,
- Responds timely to requests and inquiries from customers and staff, by phone, in person and by written communications.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Plans, assigns, reviews and coordinates the activities of staff responsible MRVP tenant selection, eligibility and continued assistance;
- Assures the performance of timely re-certifications and tenant rent adjustments;
- Conducts regular compliance reviews of client and vendor files to ensure program transactions related to eligibility, leasing, moves and continued occupancy are conducted pursuant to applicable Metro Housing procedures and DHCD regulations;
- Ensures Specialists maintain complete and accurate files with all necessary participant-supplied documents and third party verifications;
- Assists Specialists with more complex and unusual situations that arise; and,
- May personally perform duties related to the assigned program area such as determining annual income and adjusted annual income, calculating tenant rent, and certifying tenants for continued assistance.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in public or business administration, social work, or a related field.
- At least three (3) years’ experience working in Public Housing, Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8, or other Federal housing programs, including at least five (1) years at a supervisory level;
- Ability to understand and implement HUD regulations, and other Federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to low income housing, including Metro Housing and DHCD MTW policies and procedures;
- Ability to plan, schedule, assign, supervise, train, and evaluate the work of subordinates in a manner which will maintain a high level of productivity and morale;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate with and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, landlords and other employees;
- Ability to complete complex and detailed tasks in a timely manner;
- Ability to plan and prioritize duties;
- Ability to operate business machines and use housing software; and,
- Ability to work independently, performing relatively complex work in an accurate and timely manner without close supervision.
- Ability to exercise good judgment
- Strong time management skills with the ability to handle large caseloads and high volume of work in a busy, fast paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task handling several tasks at once, anticipating and identifying problems and putting forward solutions
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions without a loss of efficiency/productivity or accuracy.
- Attention to detail in all aspect of work
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $63,000 with excellent benefits. (This is an exempt position)
Please see website: http://metrohousingboston.org/