03 Oct Market Analyst
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The Market Analyst Specialist position is critical to establishing agency policy as it relates to determining fair market rents in the communities serviced by Metro Housing. This requires extensive knowledge and expertise in monitoring the changing rental market and vacancy rates in the Greater Boston metropolitan area. S/He is responsible for new and existing unit rent determinations by reviewing and tracking all Requests for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) submissions received from the Senior Inspections Coordinator. S/He determines appropriate assisted rent levels within the Metro Housing region by compiling and analyzing market data, conducting extensive research as needed, negotiating with owners, and preparing a rent comparability analysis and assuring the accuracy of utility allowances. S/He serves as a liaison to local housing authorities and other organizations and works to enhance the image of the Section 8 Program. This is a specialized position requiring expert analysis of a fluctuating rental market.
Property Owner Resource Manager
Responsibilities May Include:
- Establish and maintain agency policy as it relates HUD established Fair Market Rents (FMR) in the communities Metro Housing services in the greater Boston area;
- Utilize the “Go Section 8” rent data program for rent reasonableness determinations;
- Maintain compliance with DHCD grading system and develop a point value system leading to a rent reasonable value for all initial and/or rent increase requests;
- Review, determine and track rent increases and process all new Requests for Tenancy Approvals (RFTA) in a timely manner;
- Work closely with Metro Housing Relocation Representatives and Inspectors to coordinate a quick and efficient lease-up process;
- Process and review Requests for Tenancy Approvals to determine new unit rents.
- Negotiate rents with property owners for rent increases and new unit rents to ensure affordability and rent reasonableness.
- Conduct workshops and prepare informational materials for property owners, in cooperation with the Metro Housing Property Owner Resource Manager as well as with local housing authorities when appropriate; must be available to occasionally work evenings.
- Provide coverage support as needed to the Senior Inspections Coordinator.
- Ensure the DHCD Administrative Plan and SETMAP requirements are being adhered to according to policy and procedures for rent reasonableness and new unit lease-ups.
- Serve as liaison to local housing authorities, working with them to compile market rent data, and to establish assisted rent ranges.
- Experience in residential property management and/or administration of rental assistance programs preferred;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Accuracy in making mathematical calculations;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and use of good judgement;
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills;
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills;
- Self-starter with the ability to focus and work independently within a busy and diverse team setting;
- Strong computer literacy skills; ability to conduct internet research, working knowledge of Microsoft Office, tablets and Cloud interface to save, organize and retrieve inspections reports and other documents.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent experience required.
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
$44K and excellent benefits. Please see website: www.metrohousingboston.org