16 Sep Housing Court Navigator
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The Housing Court Navigators will provide an added value to court users at Eastern Housing Court as it incorporates a social service component that currently does not exist. The Housing Court Navigators would assess the court user’s situation and determine what resources and services would be useful to preserve and stabilize a tenancy, which may include linking them to financial assistance, housing search, and advocacy organizations. Additionally, the Housing Court Navigators will serve as a vital access point for court users to access financial assistance from RAFT and City Flex Funds given that the majority of the cases filed in Eastern Housing Court are related to non-payment of rent.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Attend Boston Housing Court weekly to screen and answer questions;
- Schedule in-office appointments for participants who are found eligible for RAFT in housing court;
- As needed, participate in coverage of walk-in and resource line hours;
- As needed, provide information and referral services, and brief counseling around immediate client concerns and/or barriers to housing, including but not limited to: financial instability, legal issues, mental health issues, substance abuse, un- or under-employment, health care, and housekeeping;
- As needed, obtain resources and services as requested and/or needed to address clients’ needs, including but not limited to: housing applications, negotiation and mediation with property owners and utility companies, fuel assistance, and shelter information;
- As needed, administer homelessness prevention funds, including Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT), by conducting intakes, screening families for program eligibility, and meeting with heads of household directly to complete paperwork and determine an appropriate course of action: either administering funding or providing counseling and referral services, or both;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience in case management or intake and assessment with homeless households or households at risk of homelessness;
- Familiarity with affordable housing and housing subsidies;
- Experience with crisis intervention regarding issues such as homelessness and affordable housing access;
- Knowledge and experience with service agencies and resources for low-income and/or homeless individuals and families;
- Willingness to work as part of a team to promote the goals of the program and organization;
- Sensitivity to the needs of the homeless, low-income, and diverse populations;
- Ability to work in a busy, diverse team setting;
- Excellent time management, organizational, communication, and writing skills;
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $50,000 with excellent benefits. (This is a non-exempt position) Please see website: http://metrohousingboston.org/