17 Jun Housing Consumer Education Center Housing Search Case Manager
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The Housing Search Case Manager is responsible for providing housing search to persons served by the Housing Consumer Education Center (HCEC) who are homeless and/or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. The Case Manager will be responsible for conducting an in depth housing assessment to determine the housing search services and supports needed to secure affordable, decent housing for the household. The Case Manager will also provide supportive services to homeless and at-risk of homelessness households including crisis intervention, temporary housing assistance and move-in transition support as needed.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Ensure that all clients receive explanation and assistance with navigating housing application processes including (universal applications, and) referral to all appropriate housing opportunities; including but not limited to, local housing authorities, regional non-profit housing agencies, private management companies, and community development corporations
- Assist clients as needed with on-going housing search including but not limited to, contacting prospective landlords and/or management companies, accompanying clients to view and apply for units, attending appointments at housing agencies and other search activities as they present;
- Conduct in-depth assessment to best determine the immediate client concerns and/or barriers to housing including, but not limited to: financial, legal, mental health, substance abuse, employment, health care and housekeeping;
- Obtain resources and services as requested and/or needed to address barriers to housing as stated above including but not limited to; CORI resolution, credit problems, and assistance with financial applications;
- Develop partnerships and collaborations with internal and external service providers to ensure client receives comprehensive services;
- Refer and/or submit complete financial assistance applications for individuals or families for homeless prevention funds when available;
- Assist client with move-in transition supports including but not limited to; furniture and furnishings assistance, budget support, and other resources and services as needed;
- Collaborate with other staff to develop housing leads and landlord contacts through outreach activities;
- Develop and implement a housing intake/history with homeless and/or at-risk of homelessness clients;
- Utilize tracking system for clients regarding their housing search and placements;
- Document all interactions with clients utilizing appropriate data systems;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Case management experience with homeless individuals and families;
- Experience with crisis intervention regarding issues such as homelessness, mental health, and substance abuse; housing barriers including legal, financial, psychological and criminal;
- Knowledge and experience with service agencies and resources for homeless individuals and families;
- Willingness to accompany clients as needed to appointments;
- Willingness to work as part of a team to promote the goals of the agency;
- Sensitive to the needs of the homeless, low income and diverse populations;
- Ability to work in a busy, diverse team setting;
- Excellent time management, organizational and communication skills;
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $42,750 and excellent benefits. Please see website: http://metrohousingboston.org/