03 Jan HAP Staff Accountant
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The staff accountant works in a team-based environment; is committed to serving our customers, is primarily responsible for supporting the Rental Assistance Program activities; performs various accounting related functions; processing rental assistant payments to landlords; processing emergency assistance payments, and assists with agency projects.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Process monthly and interim rental assistance payments, void and reissue as needed
- Assist with the TIN matching system
- Full understanding of the Rental Assistance Software Applications relative to accounting processes
- Communicate and coordinate internal departments and other agency with payment processing schedules
- Enter adjustment payments as need to Rental Assistance Software
- Verify and enter direct deposit information in the Rental Assistance Software, respond to inquiries by managers regarding information
- Responds timely to requests and inquiries from customers, auditors and internal staff, by phone, in person and by written communications
- Ability to investigate questionable data and recommends actions to resolve discrepancies
- Maintain accounting records by making copies, scanning, and filing documents
- Maintain and update various subsidiary records: spreadsheets, logs
- Maintain organized filing systems, work areas, record keeping
- Enter monthly general ledger; preparations, entries, proofs
- Prepare and complete monthly invoices/billing with backup documents as needed
- Reconciles bank statements by comparing statements with general ledger and resolving any discrepancies
- Attend off-site training as required
- Assist in team cross training programs
- Attends meetings and trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field preferred, or 2+ years comparable work experience
- Obtain Nan McKay HCV Financial Accounting & Reporting Specialist certification within 1-2 years of employment
- Able to perform a variety of general accounting support and reporting skills in an accounting department
- Verifying the accuracy of invoices and other accounting documents or records
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse, low income population. Demonstrated ability to handle emotionally stressful situations and manage conflict
- Ability to plan and prioritize duties, work independently, performing relatively complex work in an accurate and timely manner without close supervision.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions without a loss of efficiency/productivity or accuracy
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and Financial Software.
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $50,540 with excellent benefits. Please see website: http://metrohousingboston.org/