Slide Can’t pay your rent or mortgage
due to COVID-19?
If you are at risk of losing your home due to COVID-19 you may be eligible for financial assistance programs RAFT, ERMA & ERAP. Don't wait, apply below to access helpful resources, rent and mortgage assistance.

Due to the large increase in the number of applications to our rental and mortgage relief programs, our response time (not approval time) to contact applicants is currently taking approximately 48 hours. Please be sure your application and all documentation are complete.


Submitted RAFT applications that are complete and include all documentation will be processed before incomplete applications, and emergency applications where an eviction execution is imminent may be given priority. 


We understand that the COVID-19 health crisis has made it difficult to get some documents. Please complete the application and attach the documents that you have available. If you do not have access to the documents and need additional time, please let us know, and we will do our best to work with you.

Are you unable to pay your current tenant share? If so, you may be eligible for a change in the tenant share you pay your property owner.


Click below or send an e-mail to Be sure to include the name of the head of the household, current address, and the name of the voucher program that you participate in with Metro Housing (Section 8, MRVP, or COC). If you are not currently a participant in a voucher program with us and need rental assistance due to COVID-19, please see the information (to the right) about applying for RAFT assistance, or click HERE. Gateway can not assist with RAFT applications.

Are your tenants unable to pay their rent? Are they paying the market rate? If so, you may be able to apply for rent relief on their behalf.

To get started with more information, click below and read about which households are eligible.

For individuals and families at risk of being displaced or forced to leave their homes due to COVID-19 employment loss, Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT), Emergency Rent and Mortgage Assistance (ERMA), or Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) may be the solution.


These programs provide financial assistance that can be used to help keep their housing, obtain new housing, pay their mortgage, or otherwise avoid becoming homeless regardless of source of income, lack of income, citizenship, or immigration status.


RAFT can provide eligible households up to $10,000 that can be used to help keep their housing, obtain new housing, or otherwise avoid becoming homeless, regardless of source of income, or lack of income. Citizenship or immigration status is not an issue for most of this funding.


RAFT/ERMA applications may also be considered for the federal Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP); no additional or separate application is required. ERAP includes benefits that can exceed $10,000 and include slightly different eligibility requirements, along with a preference for households who have been unemployed 90 days or more at the time of application or who have income below 50% of the Area Median Income. We will match you with the most appropriate program based on your needs and circumstances, and may ask additional questions beyond those in the application. (Click HERE to read this ERAP information in other languages.)


Begin the process by clicking below to start an application. These applications are submitted and processed completely electronically. If you have other questions or need further guidance, visit the Eviction Prevention page or contact the Housing Hub at 617.425.6700 or email

When the state moratorium expired on October 17, a federal moratorium established by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) became effective in Massachusetts. Through December, the CDC moratorium will prevent evictions for non-payment for qualified tenants who submit a written declaration to their landlord. Courts will accept eviction filings and process cases, and may enter judgments, but will not issue an order of execution (the court order that allows a landlord to evict a tenant) until after the expiration of the CDC order. Protection is limited to households who meet certain income and vulnerability criteria. Use the declaration form to the right.

If you are need of assistance with your utility bills, you may apply for Fuel Assistance. Click through the link on the right to find the Fuel Assistance program that serves your community.


Additionally, if you are behind on utilities, we would encourage you to reach out to your utility provider to form a repayment agreement, see if you are eligible for the low income discount rate and/or inquire if you may be eligible for an Arrears Management Plan (AMP).