31 Mar Boston Mayor announces $50 million for city’s Rental Relief Fund
BOSTON — Boston Mayor Kim Janey on Tuesday announced $50 million in new funding for the city’s Rental Relief Fund. Her announcement comes after the federal ban on evictions was extended again, bringing relief to tens of millions of renters struggling to catch up. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention extended its federal moratorium on eviction for non-payment of rent until June 30.
“Preventing evictions is a public health priority because families who lose their homes are often forced into overcrowded conditions that increase the risk of COVID-19 transmission,” Janey said.
The mayor said the new funding will be available to families in amounts of up to $15,000. She said it will be available to help families pay rent, utilities and certain moving costs.
Originally established in April 2020, the fund has handed out more than $7.8 million to more than 1,860 households so far, the city said.
To qualify for assistance, tenants must:
- Earn less than 80% Area Median Income (AMI) or $96,250 for a family of four
- Be financially impacted by COVID-19
- Be a renter in Boston
- Certify they do not receive a rental subsidy or have funds to meet their needs
- Not be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student