03 Jan Accounting Clerk
- Metro Housing Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
Metro Housing|Boston’s mission: “We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
The accounting clerk works in a team-based environment; is committed to serving our customers, is primarily responsible for supporting the Rental Assistance Program activities; performs various accounting related functions; processing rental assistant payments to landlords; processing emergency assistance payments, and assists with organization projects.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Assist with the TIN matching system
- Enter manual checks in current Rental Assistance Software
- Post various reports to the Metro Housing|Boston intranet
- Maintain accounting records by making copies, scan and filing documents
- Provide customer service to internal and external customers, auditors, and management
- Reconciles bank statements by comparing statements with general ledger and resolving any discrepancies
- Prepare and enter monthly general ledger entries
- Prepare monthly invoices with backup documents as needed
- Maintain and update various subsidiary records: spreadsheets, logs
- Maintain organized filing systems, work areas, record keeping
- Reconcile various programs
- Full understanding of the Rental Assistance Software Applications relative to accounting processes
- Prepare and process weekly check/wire deposits
- Enter direct deposit information in the Rental Assistance Software
- Assist in team cross training programs
- Ability to investigate questionable data and recommends actions to resolve discrepancies
- Attends meetings and trainings
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Associates degree in accounting or related field preferred, or 2+ years comparable work experience
- Able to perform a variety of general accounting support and reporting skills in an accounting department
- Verifying the accuracy of invoices and other accounting documents or records
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse, low income population. Demonstrated ability to handle emotionally stressful situations and manage conflict
- Ability to manage several tasks at once, anticipate and identify solutions that are creative, innovative and flexible
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and Financial Software.
- Organizational, verbal and written communication skills a must
- Attention to detail
- Perform other duties as assigned
Preference Given To:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, and Spanish.
- Candidates who live within two miles of Metro Housing|Boston’s headquarters at Roxbury Crossing.
Salary & Benefits
(This is a non-exempt position)
Salary: $41,000 with excellent benefits. Please see website: http://metrohousingboston.org/